Cortisol

Often people with PA have other medical conditions. Feel free to discuss these in here.

Moderators: Missy, hampster, martyn, coryad, BeeNumber12, kimks mom, Vix, AndreaM, japatchett

Cortisol

Postby mollyjane » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:21 pm

Hello, me again! I was having a look at a private blood test (Cortisol) from the back end of last year and wondered if someone can help me to understand the result? The Lab that my sample was sent to, emailed me with my result and a comment to say that my Cortisol was "within normal range" and because of this comment I didn't really pay much attention to the numbers on the result. My blood sample was taken around 1pm ( before I knew about early morning and midnight testing) and the result was 118. The reference range is 9am 171-536 and midnight < 140. Lab comment on time sample taken - "not given"

I know my Endocrinologist also tested me for Cortisol, which came normal.

Thanks.
mollyjane

Re: Cortisol

Postby Vix » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:10 am

Hi Molly Jane
As far as I am aware your initial cortisol test should be tested at 8-9am as it varies so much during the day so I think that test done at 1pm might be pretty meaningless. Can you get your hands on the results of the test the endo did? Do you know if that one was done at 8-9am? If not I would request to have a 9am test done.
As it was a private test I would also write to them to query why it wasn't done at 9.
Vx
Vix

Re: Cortisol

Postby mollyjane » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:03 pm

Hi Vix, thank you for replying. The private test was done by post but I don't ever remember any paperwork included which mentioned the best time to take the sample. I'll maybe give them a ring to find out if they will re-test. The test I had done at the Endo's. was definitely done before 9 in the morning.

Thanks again.

C x
mollyjane

Return to Other Conditions