Ferrous Fumerate

Often people with PA have other medical conditions. Feel free to discuss these in here.

Moderators: Missy, hampster, martyn, coryad, BeeNumber12, kimks mom, Vix, AndreaM, japatchett

Ferrous Fumerate

Postby tired-one » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:08 pm

Hi,
Iron level has dropped to 23 and have been prescribed Ferrous Fermumerate.....it says not to take if you have other anaemia and when I looked it up it says not to take if you have PA????????? :neutral:
Thanks for any advice.
tired-one

Re: Ferrous Fumerate

Postby Q » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:50 pm

A lot of us here have needed to take iron to get our ferritin (iron storage) up to optimal levels (around 80 for women and 100 for men) so go ahead and take it. A feature of PA is low stomach acid and a normal level of stomach acid is required to absorb minerals such as iron.

Iron is best taken on an empty stomach with orange juice or vitamin C tablets. A lot of people find it upsets their stomach so then try taking it after a meal, you will absorb less but something is better than nothing. It can cause constipation too.

I am sure you will have more energy once you get your levels up :)

Susan
Q

Re: Ferrous Fumerate

Postby tired-one » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:04 am

Hi, Thanks for your reply...It is this particular type of iron I was worried about. The leaflet inside the med says don't take it if you have PA?
tired-one

Return to Other Conditions