Today's news article!!!

For those light hearted moments, in here please!

Moderators: Missy, hampster, martyn, coryad, BeeNumber12, kimks mom, Vix, AndreaM, japatchett

Today's news article!!!

Postby JDee » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:03 pm

Last edited by JDee on Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Changed heading to 'News story' from 'Newspaper story' xxx
Both of my parents were diagnosed with PA. Mum is on 2 monthly injections and relatively OK. Dad progressed to dementia and sadly died 14/2/13. Despite my own levels being 'normal' I have some symptoms. Jac.
JDee

Re: Today's newspaper article!!!

Postby Maudy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:29 pm

Oh come on, Jac - we do have a test. The fact that it measures completely usless b12 floating around in the blood stream doing diddly, is irrelevant. You know most of us on here aren't even b12 deficient...

Maybe we should get a PAS chant going:

"We aren't sick
It's all in our mind"

"We are just emotional
...and I've got a blue behind"
Maudy

Postby JDee » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:13 pm

Both of my parents were diagnosed with PA. Mum is on 2 monthly injections and relatively OK. Dad progressed to dementia and sadly died 14/2/13. Despite my own levels being 'normal' I have some symptoms. Jac.
JDee

Postby kimks mom » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:55 am

It is just a pile of rubbish but I suppose there will be many people who will throw out their supplements based on a study that is very seriously flawed. Anyone can do a study provided you have someone to publish it. That doesn't mean that it has to make sense.

~Pat
I am a support person for my daughter who was diagnosed with PA and Folate Anaemia in 1994, at the age of 27. Another daughter diagnosed with Hashimotos 2010 but she doesn't have PA.
kimks mom

Postby anotherwithpa » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:09 pm

I've not read the article and will expect to be told not to give my opinion, but I strongly believe you should only take what is needed and never take artificial stuff if not needed. Less is allways more . My opinion.
anotherwithpa

Postby JDee » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:20 pm

JDee

Postby Galixie » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:23 pm

They were yapping about that study on the news this week. From what I recall, the study involved women between the ages 55 and 69 and the findings were that 40% of the women who did take supplements died during the study and 38% of women who didn't take supplements died during the study. That is a two percentage point difference (less really because I'm rounding to what I remember). With all of the other qualifiers of how the study was performed and that it was, with the exception of folic acid, only vitamins that are known to become toxic in large doses (iron, b6, etc) that were identified as the culprits. I think it's safe to say that about 39% percent of women in that age bracket typically die regardless of what vitamins they may or may not be taking.

Summed up that way, it sort of sounds like it was a collossal waste of time doesn't it?
Galixie

Postby kimks mom » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:27 am

I wonder if any money from the large pharma companies found its way to any of the author's of the study. There was talk as well about the study here and Vit. E was implicated. I think most people know that caution has to be used with Vit. E. I also think the outcome results from participants blindly taking what they were told to take. I don't take anything unless I have looked it up and even 20 years ago there were enough books around that discussed drugs and vitamin side effects. I still have a large hard-cover book, actually, there are two laying around here somewhere that has a listing of A to Z of drugs and vitamins with a description of side effects.

~Pat
I am a support person for my daughter who was diagnosed with PA and Folate Anaemia in 1994, at the age of 27. Another daughter diagnosed with Hashimotos 2010 but she doesn't have PA.
kimks mom

Postby JDee » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:02 pm

JDee

Postby JDee » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:46 am

The article above will be a phone-in on the Wrightstuff on Channel 5 after 10.20 this morning. Anyone want to discuss b12 deficiency as a potential cause?

Jac
JDee

Postby JDee » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:55 pm

JDee

Re: Today's news article!!!

Postby JDee » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:09 pm

JDee

Postby JDee » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:34 pm

Measure blood pressure in BOTH arms not just one - new advice.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17442996

Jac
JDee

Postby JDee » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:53 pm

Good luck. :think:

Jac
JDee

Postby JDee » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:04 am

Today's article advises about a trial for treating pregnant women with Metformin, to try to reduce the numbers of overweight babies.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... child.html

I wonder if any counter measures re possible b12 deficiency will be taken!!!!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12916&start=15

Jac
JDee

Next

Return to The Social Corner